Looking for a list of good Discord server rules that you can just copy and paste?
Maybe you recently launched your own Discord server and desperately need a decent set of rules for Discord servers but simply don’t know what you should include.
Well, don’t worry because you’re not alone and it’s very common for founders of new Discord servers to overthink the process of setting some initial Discord server rules.
In this guide, you’ll learn how to set up some basic Discord server rules and we’ll provide you with a number of great templates that you can simply copy and paste.
Let’s get started!
Table of Contents
- What are Discord Server Rules?
- How to Create a Discord Rules Channel
- How to Force New Members to Accept Discord Rules
- Basic Discord Server Rules Template to Copy and Paste
- List of 100+ Good Discord Server Rules
- Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
Key Points (tl;dr)
- Discord server rules are essential in maintaining a safe and welcoming atmosphere inside an online community. It fosters respectful behavior and sets clear limits on what is considered unacceptable.
- You can easily create a dedicated “Rules” channel on Discord by creating a new text channel by that same name and then deactivating “Send Messages” in the advanced permissions of the channel. This will make the channel “read-only”.
- You can also force new members to accept certain rules before they may join. This requires you to enable the “Community” feature and then set up “Membership Screening”, where you can define a set of rules.
- In this guide, we share a basic Discord server rules template that you can easily copy and paste. It contains general rules that will apply to most communities.
- If you’d rather put together your own collection of rules, you can use our list of over 100 Discord rules from 13 different categories and pick the ones you like the most.
For a full list of over 100+ good Discord rules that you can copy and paste, PLEASE READ THE FULL ARTICLE.
What are Discord Server Rules?
Discord server rules set clear guidelines regarding acceptable and unacceptable behavior within a Discord community. Good Discord rules are crucial in maintaining a safe and welcoming environment for members.
Some of you might be wondering why on earth you even need a set of Discord rules in the first place.
After all, you’re the owner of the Discord server and it’s your kingdom, so why can’t you just make up the rules on the fly?
Well, as much as that may sound like an attractive proposition, we can almost guarantee you that it won’t work.
In fact, it’s probably a recipe for disaster.
Communities need rules in order to function properly.
Just look at how our society works today and you’ll quickly come to the conclusion that it simply wouldn’t work without rules.
Even if the majority of people are friendly and just want to get along, there are always just enough people who are up to no good and can easily ruin the experience for everyone else.
Social media has also shown us that the perceived anonymity of the internet actually reduces the threshold for bad behavior.
That’s also why it’s crucial that you know how to ban someone on Discord in the event that they cause problems.
So, if you want your new Discord community to be a safe and friendly space, you’re going to have to set up some Discord server rules and you’ll need moderators who can enforce them too.
How to Create a Discord Rules Channel
To create a read-only Discord rules channel, set up a new text channel called “Rules” and deactivate “Send Messages” inside its “Advanced Permissions” settings. Then post your rules inside that channel.
Creating a rules channel on Discord is actually very simple.
Here’s a quick step-by-step guide on how to do it:
- Step 1: First, you need to set up a new text channel and name it “Rules”.
- Step 2: Open the channel’s settings by clicking on the small cogwheel next to it.
- Step 3: Now open the “Permissions” tab and access the “Advanced Permissions”.
- Step 4: Look for the “Send Messages” permission and click on the red cross. This will set the channel to read-only mode.
And that’s it.
You’ve now created a new rules channel where you can post your set of Discord server rules.
Your community members will be able to read them but can’t post any messages inside the channel.
For a more detailed walkthrough of the above process, make sure you check out our guide on how to add rules in Discord.
How to Force New Members to Accept Discord Rules
You can force new members to accept your server rules by enabling the “Community” feature inside the server settings and then setting up “Membership Screening”. This will allow you to define specific rules that new members must accept before joining.
You may be familiar with some Discord servers where new members need to confirm that they accept the rules before they can join.
From a psychological point of view, this is different from the regular Discord rules channel because members can’t claim that they didn’t know about the rules.
However, you’ll need to enable the “Community” feature and set up “Membership Screening” before you can force members to accept the rules.
Here’s how you set up Discord membership screening in a few simple steps:
- Step 1: Open the “Server Settings” by clicking the server dropdown menu in the top left corner.
- Step 2: Now look for the “Enable Community” tab and quickly set it up but clicking the “Get Started” button.
- Step 3: Once done, you’ll find a new tab in the server settings called “Rules Screening”. Open it and click the “Set up Membership Screening” button.
- Step 4: Now set up your rules and questions and finally, enable screening.
You’ve now successfully set up membership screening.
If for whatever reason you’re running into problems with setting up your screening, feel free to ask for help by sending a message to the Discord support email.
Basic Discord Server Rules Template to Copy and Paste
Download COLLECTION of Discord Server Rule Templates
Discord tries to help you out with some examples of good server rules, but it’s better if you choose them by yourself.
Every community is different and depending on the niche you’re in, some Discord server rules may be more relevant than others.
That being said, here are some very general rules that should apply to almost every community:
- Be respectful to other members
- Prohibit unsafe or inappropriate content
- Discourage spam in channels
- Fake profiles or identities are forbidden.
- User information should remain confidential
- Abusive language or hate speech is forbidden.
- Illegal Distribution of copyrighted material is prohibited.
To make things easier for you, we’ve put together a Discord server rules template that you can simply copy and paste into the “Rules” channel of your Discord server.
We kindly ask all our Discord members to follow these simple rules**1. Be respectful and kind**This should really go without saying...**2. No Inappropriate Language**The use of profanity should be kept to an absolute minimum. The use of derogatory language towards another user is strictly prohibited.**3. No Spamming**Do not disrupt the chat by spamming. Do not send unsolicited messages to other users.**4. No pornographic/adult/other NSFW material**Please remember that our <COMMUNITY NAME> support Children and are Family Friendly...**5. No ads/shilling**Please only shill your stuff in the #promo channel.**6. No offensive names and profile pictures**You will be asked to change your name or picture if we deem either to be inappropriate.**7. Follow the Discord Community Guidelines**You can find them here: https://discordapp.com/guidelinesWe honestly do not wish to Mute/Kick/Ban anyone - but will do so if required. Please report any issues directly to the Team members.PLEASE NOTE: We will never reach out to you directly asking for any personal or security details, such as your Wallet seed phrase, etc. Likewise, we will never deploy Bots to send DMs. Please report any scams or suspicious activity to our Team.
And if you’d like some more variety, we’ve put together a collection of 5 great and aesthetic Discord rules that you can copy and paste, and even modify to your liking.
You can download this FREE collection of Discord rule templates by clicking here or the big red button below.
Alternatively, you can also check out our recent guide that contains 8 excellent Discord server rules templates that we’ve taken from some of the most popular Discord servers we could find.
Download COLLECTION of Discord Server Rule Templates
List of 100+ Good Discord Server Rules
Not everyone likes to use templates because every community is different and certain rules don’t make sense in every situation.
That’s why we’ve put together this list of good Discord rules that you can pick and choose just like an à la carte menu.
In fact, we’ve even categorized all the different rules for you, just to make things even easier.
Respecting Authority & Rules
- Listen to the server’s staff.
- Please refrain from back-seat moderating.
- Please follow the Discord terms of service.
- Follow all staff instructions immediately and at all times.
- These rules may vary at any time. Moderators reserve the right to warn and ban users discretionally.
- You need to be at least 13 years old to use Discord.
- Be respectful, civil, and welcoming.
- Anything to target specific groups/individuals is prohibited.
- Discriminatory language and hate speech is forbidden.
- Be respectful and welcoming as toxicity is disallowed.
- Be civil, and do not treat messaging channels like a stream chat.
- Obnoxious, excessive, or inappropriate sounds are disallowed.
- Bullying and harassment are not tolerated.
- Do not harass, or join in on the harassment of, another user.
- Do not engage in hate speech of any kind.
- Do not threaten anyone.
- Regardless of age, strive to treat each other as we would like to be treated ourselves.
- Remain civil and considerate towards other users.
- No hate speech or trolling.
- Any form of harassment such as blackmailing, doxxing, or inappropriate DMs results in an immediate and permanent ban.
- Any sort of discrimination will not be tolerated.
- Do not bully or harass another member in any way, shape, or form.
- We promote diversity and inclusivity and expect your interactions in this channel to be respectful and guided by these principles.
- Don’t be toxic or mean, including bashing people’s posts unprovoked.
- Be kind and respectful to others.
- The most important rule of all is to have fun!
Freedom of Speech
- Community members are free to express themselves openly and give constructive criticism and feedback.
- We encourage free expression for all, embrace our differences, opinions, and diverse backgrounds, therefore, debates are welcome while they are based on these ideas.
- The primary language of this server is English.
- Only communicate in English.
- All content and messages on this server are to be in English, with the exception of common words or phrases at staff discretion.
Inappropriate & Adult Content
- No inappropriate or unsafe content.
- Any content that is NSFW is not allowed under any circumstances.
- Discord names and avatars must be appropriate.
- Do not use the server as a dating server.
- Do not converse about adult or non-PG topics.
- Inappropriate profile pictures, usernames, statuses, usernames with profanity, or blank names are not allowed.
- Only stream PG content.
- Any harmful material will result in a permanent ban.
- Illegally distributing unlicensed material is prohibited.
- Streaming movies or other copyrighted content is illegal.
Discussion & Debate
- Controversial topics such as religion or politics are not allowed.
- Avoid topics regarding banned members.
- Remain on topic and use channels correctly.
- Be cautious when introducing conversations regarding controversial or sensitive topics.
- Community members should strive for a certain level of quality in their messages.
- Use the appropriate channels.
Buying, Selling & Trading
- Do not buy/sell/trade/give away anything.
- Trading, selling, begging, boosting and account sharing are not allowed.
- Do not discuss, request, conduct, or advertise real money trades.
- You are not allowed to sell anything here.
- Do not join the server to promote your content.
- No Discord server invite links or codes.
- Do not advertise without permission.
- Do not send Discord server invites on the server or in DMs.
- Do not send online meeting links.
- No advertising Discord servers, other programs, websites, or services.
- Please limit and be reasonable with the promotion of content.
- Please do not mic spam.
- If there is a large group of members silently listening to music, please kindly mute yourself or move to an alternative channel.
- Do not play music or other audio through your microphone.
- Do not loop or queue the same song with music bots.
- Do not misuse or spam in any of the channels.
- Spamming in any form is not allowed.
- Do not spam messages or emotes.
- Do not ping staff members for no reason.
- Do not mass mention by pinging more than 4 people at once, or randomly ping members.
- Do not flood chat by having messages exceed 7 lines on a computer screen.
- Engaging in message chains is prohibited.
- Do not send copypastas.
- Using Discord Stickers excessively is to be avoided.
- Do not stack more than 5 emotes in a message.
- Do not send more than 2 flashing or strobe-effect emotes at any one time.
- Do not send medically triggering, strobe-effect, or severely flashing media.
- Please do not contact server members unsolicited.
- If you’re sharing a link, please include a description (unless the nature of the link is obvious).
- Do not attempt to bypass any blocked words.
- Don’t ping without legitimate reasoning behind them.
- Alternate accounts are not allowed under any circumstances.
- Catfishing and any sort of fake identities are forbidden.
- Do not role-play within the server.
- Raiding is not allowed.
- Do not record voice channel conversations.
- Do not discuss hacking or cheating.
- Do not link scam websites.
- Encouraging rule-breaking is an offense.
- Do not impersonate others, including public figures.
- Please do not make your nickname “everyone”.
- Do not copy or claim other people’s art.
- Using voice changers and soundboards is disallowed.
- Do not send any malicious and harmful links or files, or anything that jeopardizes the security of others.
- Leaking the personal information of others is prohibited.
- Coordinating or participating in a server raid is forbidden.
- Do not post unsafe items (e.g. malicious websites, pirated software, etc).
- Do not post any link or file that crashes Discord.
- Do not DDoS or threaten to DDoS other users.
- Do not request, post, or disclose piracy information, links, or intent.
- Creating sub servers with the intent of moving our members with the goal of self-benefit is not allowed.
- Forming of raids, targeting us or another server will lead to a permanent ban.
- Do not share personal information.
- Do not impersonate developers, moderators, or other users.
- No major spoilers from any anime, movie, tv-show, or game on public channels.
- Spoilers must use spoiler tags and be labeled.
- Spoilers should be labeled appropriately using Discord’s built-in formatting, sufficiently disclosing what topic is being covered.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
Before we wrap up, let’s quickly address a few frequently asked questions that many people have in relation to good Discord server rules.
What are the rules in Discord?
Every Discord server should have a set of rules that state what sort of behavior is acceptable and what is not. Rules are a crucial element to a successful community because they set clear boundaries for people with negative energy and foster a welcoming atmosphere.
What is not allowed on a Discord server?
Aside from the rules of a specific Discord server, there are also overarching Discord Community Guidelines that clearly state what is not allowed on Discord servers. For more details visit https://discordapp.com/guidelines.
How do you write a rule in Discord?
There 2 ways how you can set up Discord server rules. The first option is to simply set up a read-only rules channel and post your set of rules there. Alternatively, you can convert your Discord server to a community and enable “Membership Screening”. This will allow you to force new members to accept certain rules before they can join.
What are good rules for a Discord server?
Good Discord server rules foster a friendly and welcoming atmosphere by encouraging members to treat each other with respect. They should also eliminate bad behaviors by prohibiting inappropriate or unsafe content and actively fighting malicious or fraudulent behavior.
Is NSFW OK on Discord?
NSFW content is generally not allowed on Discord. If your server contains adult content or restricted content, it must apply the age-restricted label to any channels or sections of the server that contain such content.
A set of good Discord server rules will go a long way in keeping the peace in your online community.
If you’re unsure what to put into your Discord rules, rather use one of the templates that we’ve provided than ignore it altogether.
As the leader of a community, you are responsible for creating a safe and welcoming environment for all new members.
Here at Tokenized, we want to help you learn as much as possible about social media. We help you navigate the world of tech and the digitalization of our society at large, including the tokenization of assets and services.
Settings come down to server template. And then in here it'll tell you exactly what it's going to do
Not safe for work (NSFW) channels on Discord are designed to limit inappropriate access to adult content. This is useful for parents whose children are on Discord and users who want to avoid age-restricted content that isn't suitable for work.
NSFW pfp's are forbidden, no matter what age you are.
Discord bans people not only by their IP address but by their phone number instead. Discord will ask for your phone number so they have something solid to identify you by. While VPN services are incredibly helpful, they can be used to get around IP bans.
To start cloning a server, log into your UpCloud Control Panel and shut down the original server. Then open the Storage devices list and find the system disk attached to your source server. Click the copy icon to create a custom image of the system disk.
On Android press and hold the Server name above the channel list. You should see the last item on the drop-down menu: 'Copy ID'. Click Copy ID to get the ID. On iOS you'll click on the three dots next to the Server's name and select Copy ID.
Cloning a channel is quick and easy with just a few clicks. Cloning a channel will copy over permissions and clone content in list and voice channels. To clone a channel, right-click on any existing channel and select Clone channel from the menu.
Wumpus is used to wave to new users who join a server or start a Direct Message. It is believed that the character's origin is from the 1973 video game Hunt the Wumpus.
Definition of NSFW
not safe for work; not suitable for work —used to warn someone that a website, email attachment, etc., is not suitable for viewing at most places of employment Sure, you can let employees use company PCs for non-work Web browsing, but you don't have to let them visit NSFW sites.—
Discord's Terms of Service states that only users who are 13 years or older may use its service in the U.S. That said, there are children under 13 who use Discord.
Discord requires that users be at least 13 years old, although they do not verify users' age upon sign-up. Common Sense Media also recommends Discord users be at least 13 due to its open chat.
Discord can indeed be hacked. A user should immediately inform Discord of suspicious activity on the platform or if they suspect their account has been hacked. If you suspect your account has been hacked you should change your password and then inform your friends about the hacking.
The COPPA rule says a child can be under 13, as long as they have parental permission and supervision, with the guardian having full management of the account.
Discord works with law enforcement agencies in cases of immediate danger and/or self-harm, pursuant to 18 U.S.C. § 2702. We swiftly report child abuse material and the users responsible to the National Center for Missing and Exploited Children.
Discord has specifically stated that BetterDiscord is not an allowed use of its services and may result in a suspension or a ban. BetterDiscord is an add-on that helps you alter your Discord client's appearance. This helps you install themes and other features to enhance your Discord experience.
Jobs. Jason Citron is the Co-Founder and CEO at Discord . Additionally, Jason Citron has had 3 past jobs including Founder at Fates Forever .
Discord bans are IP Bans so you may have another account in there that is banned. However all of Dyno bans are Discord bans so if they are still unable to find the ban, You would have to contact discord to resolve the issue, as it's not an issue with Dyno itself.
You may not purchase, sell, or exchange Virtual Currency outside the Service. Doing so is a violation of the Terms and may result in termination of your Account with the Service and/or legal action.
Are Deleted Discord Messages Gone Forever? Yes, Discord users know there is no way to see deleted messages. This is because when a message is deleted, it is permanently removed from the servers.
Cloning a server takes an exact copy of an existing machine. A cloned server is, for most purposes, an exact copy of the source; however, certain underlying settings are changed (UUID, MAC, SID, etc.).
- Select the source disk. Click the "Clone" from the left menu. ...
- Select the target disk. ...
- View the disk layout and edit the target disk partition size. ...
- Click "Start" to start the disk cloning process.
- Download Disk2vhd utility.
- Run Disk2vhd on the physical server you are converting.
- Convert disk(s) to VHDX format and copy it to Hyper-V host.
- Create a new VM on a Hyper-V host.
- Insert the created disk.
- Run a VM and enjoy it.
- See also.
So, in 2015, Stan and Jason started to bring Discord to life. People from all over the world loved it. Discord made it easy to genuinely communicate with friends, going beyond casual talking. Friends were staying in touch with their various communities.
To find a user's Discord ID (including your own), tap their profile picture to open their profile, then tap the three dots in the top-right corner and select Copy ID.
It was founded in 2015 to make it easier for gamers to talk while playing video games and gained notoriety as a home for the Alt-Right two years later when white supremacists used it to orchestrate that summer's Charlottesville protests.
If you have a server, up to 25 participants per Discord channel can use the text and video chat at the same time. A Discord server can contain up to 500 channels.
Yeah, it is true you can clone and drag channels to new categories.
Wumpus is the adorable purple pig cow mascot for Discord, a free voice & text app the best internet messenger ever.
WUMPUS IS NO ORDINARY PIG! YOU'RE RIGHT!
Discord on Twitter: "Wumpus doesn't have friends.
NFS = not further specified. NS = not specified. Food codes with NFS, NS, quantity not specified, or guideline amount per... in the measure description are used when the amount of food eaten is not known.
"Not So Fast" is the most common definition for NSF on Snapchat, WhatsApp, Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and TikTok.
New South Wales in British English.
Within the edit channel overview tab, you'll see an option to mark the channel as age-restricted. Click that option, and you'll be good to go!
Q: Why did Discord update its age rating from 12+ to 17+?
A: Discord updated its age rating to 17+ at Apple's request. We work hard to create robust controls and policies to help ensure minors are not exposed to content inappropriate for them.
Discord is allowed in most countries in the world such as the United States, the United Kingdom, India, Japan, Brazil, Russia, all European countries, and any other country besides those previously listed as having banned Discord.
Though it's not explicitly a dating app, Discord has increasingly become a platform for people to make romantic connections.
"Other times, many kids create their own private server just to talk to friends they invite." "Kids are attracted to Discord because it's a great way to stay connected with friends," he adds. "They can send messages, memes or just hang out in voice coms."
What age is TikTok recommended for? Common Sense recommends the app for age 15+ mainly due to the privacy issues and mature content. TikTok requires that users be at least 13 years old to use the full TikTok experience, although there is a way for younger kids to access the app.
If you click on the link, it will lead you to a fake Discord login page. (In some other cases, scammers lead you to fake Steam login pages as well.) All login credentials you submit there will be in scammers' hands! They can thus gain access to your account and hack it.
Can a discord admin kick an owner? Nope, the owner has the highest priority, only the owner can “kick” themselves, which would either be transferring the server to someone else then leaving, or to delete the server. The server always has to have an owner, and the owner has the highest priority over everyone else.
To compound the problem, 2FA can even be used against the account's original owner. Even worse, hackers with skill can swap out your 2FA codes, and Discord itself doesn't know them. Therefore, if your 2FA was changed, it becomes difficult to regain access to your Discord.
The name Discord was chosen because it "sounds cool and has to do with talking", was easy to say, spell, remember, and was available for trademark and website. In addition, "Discord in the gaming community" was the problem they wished to solve.
Discord has a lot of amazing bots, but some can also be a threat of hacking, leaking data or spamming. - Is a bot asking you for your information like email and phone number ? Dont give the information cause that information will go directly to the bot developer.
On Discord, when a user tries to please someone, whoever gives them the Nitro is known as a “Discord Kitten” or “Sugar baby”. In Discord terminology, the particular users who financially own Discord kittens are called “Kittens Daddies”.
- Focus On Channel Names. ...
- Add Kaomoji to Channel Names. ...
- Make Sure to Add Some Interests-Related Channels. ...
- 10 Cool Discord Role Ideas for Your Server: The Ultimate List.
- 10 Discord Channel Ideas Your Server Will Love: The Ultimate List. ...
- Music Events.
- Don't separate the "Owner" in the member sidebar. ...
- Don't use any kind of "levels" or "exp" system. ...
- Only have as many moderators as the server needs. ...
- Do not advertise to random people, nor on random servers, nor reward people for inviting friends. ...
- Think about why YOU would want to join a server.
Discord was publicly released in May 2015 under the domain name discordapp.com.
Discord Street is described as 'Discover new Discord Servers to join and chat in, or list your own server! The number one Discord server list' and is an app in the social & communications category. There are nine alternatives to Discord Street for Online / Web-based and Discord.
It's completely free to use with complete access to your messages, history, communities, etc. And, furthermore, it's free to start your own server too. However, there are paid subscriptions for bonuses and perks. For $9.99 per month or $99.99 per year, users can sign up for Discord Nitro(opens in a new tab).